My lovely boyfriend (Mark) came back from Renmark (where he is from) on the weekend and his lovely mum gave him a whole lot of fruit and veggies to bring back!
We had an abundance of oranges so it was the perfect oportunity to try out this recipie from The Country Show Cookbook. The Orange cake recipie i chose to use was the one by Thelma Allman from the Kiama Show!
It turned out so well, it's moist and zingy. Kinda like orange sherbert. It is also one of those cakes that gets better with age. It turns kind of dense but juicy as time goes on!
140 grams of Salted Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
3/4 cup Milk
Juice and rind of 1 orange
2 Cups Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter (softened)
juice of 1/2 an orange
For the Cake
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a 20cm tin.
2. Cream the butter with the sugar.
3. Add the eggs one at a time making sure each one is well beaten in before the next.
4. Fold in the flour alternately with the milk.
5. Lastly fold in the orange juice and rind.
6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the cake is 'quiet' (Meaning it has stopped bubbling inside, mine took longer then 40 mins)
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool then place on a wire rack
For the icing
1. Combine butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Add enough orange juice to make a soft paste and mix well.
*I added orange food colouring....just in case people didn't realise it was orange cake :)